IBM Global Business Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions and providing unparalleled client and consumer experiences via Cognitive data analytics, cloud technology and mobile app development. With global reach, outcome-focused methodologies and deep industry expertise, IBM GBS empowers clients to digitally reinvent their business and get the competitive edge in the cognitive era in over 170 countries.
IBM is a leader in this global transformation, and there is no better place to launch or further your career. World-class learning opportunities, mentoring and a flexible work environment
you will find a wealth of opportunities within IBM to create the career you’ve always imagined.
This is our vision for the future of Data Analytics
our belief in the rise of you
this is: You to the power of IBM.
What Does an IBM Cognitive Engineer Consultant Internship Opportunity Offer?
· Consulting experience and client facing interaction on challenging projects
· Networking with IBM leadership and professional development and training activities
· Collaborative and dynamic team work environment
· Cohort internship class located in New York City
· Competitive compensation package with the potential for full-time career opportunities
What Will You Do as an IBM Cognitive Engineer Consultant Intern?
We offer exceptional consulting opportunities to work with some of the brightest minds in the business within the Analytics and Cognitive Computing domains, specifically in the areas of Big Data, Cognitive Computing, Data Science. Our Cognitive Engineers work as members of engagement teams, often at client sites, to bring value to our clients. You’ll join a team that combines sophisticated data analytics with market-leading global solutions, deep industry insight and business consulting expertise.
Our opportunities are in one of the following core skill areas:
Data Science - Responsible for successful delivery of data science solutions and services in a client consulting environment; experience in predictive modeling, optimization, and/or machine learning analytics techniques using tools/programming languages including SPSS, SAS, R, Python, Spark, etc. within a Hadoop-enabled environment. Define key business problems to be solved; formulate mathematical approaches and gather data to solve those problems, develop, analyze/draw conclusions, test solutions and present to client. Enhance performance by applying advanced mathematical modeling, data analytics, optimization, and machine learning techniques.
Cognitive Computing - Provide business insights to IBM clients through innovative solutions and services for unstructured data using IBM's Watson Cognitive approach. The combination of the following capabilities makes Watson unique:
· Natural language processing by helping to understand the complexities of unstructured data
· Hypothesis generation and evaluation by applying advanced analytics to weigh and evaluate a panel of responses based on only relevant evidence
· Dynamic learning by helping to improve learning based on outcomes to get smarter with each iteration and interaction. This combination delivers a powerful solution:
o To move beyond the constraints of programmatic computing
o To move from reliance on structured, local data to unlock the world of global, unstructured data
o To move from decision tree-driven, deterministic applications to probabilistic systems that coevolve with their users
o To move from keyword-based search to an intuitive, conversational means of discovering a set of confidence-ranked responses. If your expertise is with unstructured data and advanced analytics; ability to apply semantic correlation, ontology and text analytics techniques and systems to analyze non-structured data and identify critical insights for overall business analytics across various domains. Experience in analyzing text, streams, documents, social media, speech and video with emerging Hadoop-based big data, NoSQL, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Search and Text analytics technologies and techniques. Possess solid skills in Java or C++ development and a good understanding of working with Hadoop, Artificial Intelligence (AI) or other cognitive computing technology.
Big Data & Analytics - Provide business insights to IBM clients through innovative solutions and services for both structured and unstructured data.
If your expertise is working with structured data; apply methods, techniques & technologies that address data architecture, integration and governance of data. Utilize experience in database concepts, data modeling; data integration including design and architecture. Master data management, including customer data strategy, product data strategy and organizational hierarchy, and Information (data) Governance including strategy, implementation, business glossary, metadata and industry frameworks. Tasks include data mapping, detailed data analysis and metadata analysis and providing hands-on business knowledge working with database developers, DBAs, architects, data quality analysts, and other teams while seamlessly managing client relationships within context of individual role.
If your expertise is working with unstructured data; ability to apply semantic correlation, ontology and text analytics techniques and systems to analyze non-structured data and identify critical insights for overall business analytics across various domains. Experience in analyzing text, streams, documents, social media, speech and video with emerging Hadoop-based big data, NoSQL, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Search and Text analytics technologies and techniques. Possess solid skills in Java, C++, Python, or Skala development and a good understanding of working with Hadoop.
Full Stack Engineer - As a Full Stack Engineer, you will be to work on these solution across the entire tech stack. You will work with databases, distributed systems, microservices, message bus/queues, and frontend user interfaces.
· Develop highly scalable microservices / RESTFUL Services and APIs
· Develop user-friendly interfaces and dashboards, translation of designer mockups and wireframes into front end code
· Work with Data Engineering tools such as Hadoop, HDFS, Hive, Impala
· Write unit and integration tests
· Build instrumentation and metrics for monitoring and alerting systems
· Document your work Research and implement new technologies to solve customer problems
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
· Enrolled in Graduate/Masters program at University; graduating in December 2019 or Spring 2020
· Available for internship which takes place Summer 2019 (June -mid August)
· Willingness and ability to relocate to New York City for the duration of the internship, and travel up to 75% to client locations (Monday-Thursday)
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
· Prior consulting &/or relevant work experience in one of the following industries: Communications – (Media & Entertainment, Telecom, Utilities), Distribution – (Customer Package Goods, Pharmaceutical, Retail, Travel & Transportation), Financial Services – (Banking, Financial Markets, Insurance), Industrial – (Aerospace & Defense, Automotive, Chemicals & Petroleum / Industrial Products, Electronics)
· Possess required skills and education associated with Predictive or Business Analytics; Business or Marketing Intelligence; Computer Science; Computer Information Sciences and Technology; Computer or Management Information Systems; Information Technology; Applied Mathematics; Applied Statistics; and Operations Research
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.