At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
You will be responsible for protecting and enhancing IBM's reputation, image and brand as a business and technology leader by influencing external constituency groups including – but not limited to - media, industry analysts and external influencers across social networks. This will include enhancing and maintaining a strong network of IBM Cloud SMEs that are seen as leaders in the market (i.e. they are the go to third party commentators on all things Cloud, involved in the right forums and networks).
Strategic thinking and the ability to spot an opportunity are essential. You will really get under the skin of your area and drive external stories which show how IBM is bringing innovative solutions to a diverse client base to help solve some of their toughest business challenges.
The ideal candidate:
· The role requires a person who is comfortable dealing with senior executives and has the confidence to continue building IBM’s relationship with business, national, trade and technology media journalists and (v)bloggers across a variety of social networks. The candidate should be able to demystify technology to communicate succinctly.
· You will be creative with the experience of using the latest digital technology to deliver social campaigns on a variety of platforms. Past experience in public relations or marketing is preferred.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must and you will also have excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise while working on multiple projects. Alongside an interest in news and current affairs and the ability to understand the upcoming media agenda, and plan news angles to match.
· Being curious and analytical are important to enable IBM to stay ahead of our competitors and to understand what strategies and campaigns work real time.
· Contribute to the achievement of Communications UKI objectives.
· Provide day-to-day consultancy to your business area on communications activities, in particular, identifying potential issues. Be regarded as the first point of contact by the business unit team, inspiring loyalty and trust.
· Develop quarterly media plans and creative campaigns to promote key business and communications activities that target a range of influencers including media, industry analysts and the blogger community.
· Pro-actively identify and create media opportunities. Work with thought leaders and subject matter experts to develop industry-relevant content and build compelling newsworthy pitches to take to target media and secure high-profile media articles.
· Develop high quality written materials, media briefing documents, press releases, creative copy and opinion articles.
· Work with business to identify client win and delivery success stories and once through approval processes, pro-actively communicate stories to external audiences.
· Manage the preparation and implementation of media events and roundtables.
· Demonstrate the ability to forge and exploit strategic press/influencer relationships and serve to the highest professional standards.
· Effectively manage feature campaigns.
· Measure outcomes of all campaigns (pre, during and post) and share best practices and learnings.
· Build a strong network of communications leaders in clients.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
The successful candidate will have:
· Extensive experience in an external relations role either in-house or agency side (or a combination) is preferred as the role requires a person who is comfortable dealing with senior executives and has the confidence to continue building IBM’s relationship with business, national, trade and technology media journalists and (v)bloggers across a variety of social networks.
· A strong network of contacts in the media and a comprehensive knowledge of how media relations works.
· Experience of translating technical/complex offerings and narratives in to clear and engaging stories and securing covering in major media (broadcast, print, online etc).
· A proven track record of imagining, executing and measuring the impact of PR campaigns that make a difference to a business' outcomes.
· Experience of using the latest digital technology to deliver social campaigns on a variety of platforms.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
· Ideally have worked in the tech industry / worked for companies in this area, this is not essential
· Past experience in public relations or marketing is preferred.
About Business Unit
IBM Corporate Headquarters (CHQ) team represents a variety of functions such as marketing, finance, legal, operations, HR, and more, all working together to solve some of the world's most complex problems, help our clients achieve success and build collaborative work environments for IBMers.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.